Introduction to the GCC Mercury
This a page about the GCC Mercury II laser which is a 30 Watt CO2 laser that has build area of 12"x24". Parts are still available for this laser however they are becoming rare as time goes on. The purpose of this page is provide reference materials for future owners and operators of this machine.
The controller is a custom controller made by GCC Mercury and is nearing the end of its useful life.
Its the 30 Watt RF excited CO2 Laser made by Synrad. The exact model we have on the laser is the J48-S2 tube which has date code of September 2005. The laser is still running strong at 28.7 watts when measured with my PW250 - Laser Power Wizard.
The mirrors are as follows.
- x1 - 25mm diameter silicon mirror
- x2 - 20mm diameter silicon mirror
- x1 - 19mm diameter ZnSe with 50.8mm or 2" focal length
Mirror selection is critical for ensuring that you are receiving the maxium output power of the laser tube. The laser will have significant power loss. It is highly recommended that you utlize Si mirrors which are silicon glass gold plated mirrors and treat them as yearly consumables.
Software Needed to Run
- Vector Editing software - Inkscape preferred
- Corel Draw - Any version above version 2.0
- GCC Mercury II Laser Driver - needed to print and works with Corel Draw
- Add a more detailed maintenance procedure
- Publish a material chart with power